Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Zwillinge = Twins

In Germany

I knew that it would be tough flying on a plane for 10 hours with a 13-month old on my lap but that was cake compared to baby jetlag....oh man! In the last 8 days, the hours between 1am and 5am local time, have not been used for sleeping...at all...by anyone.... within a 2-block radius.


We're staying in a beautiful apartment that belongs to Chris' brother. Him and his girl friend are the first ones to live in it and have bought all new and very nice furniture, dishes....etc. Oh and it was absolutely spotless when we arrived. It's pretty much the perfect place for my girls to destroy! And they are well on their way to doing so!


We're in the town of Giessen where Chris grew up. The other day we packed up the kids and went downtown to see the Christmas market. Packing up here is a bit different. At home we drive a Toyota Highlander and I have been said to complain a few times that I'm ready for an upgrade to a Sequoia cuz I just don't have enough space sometimes. Well, here is a photo of the car we've been using....I will never complain again!


Cute huh?!

We actually have to load the girls in from the trunk....



Here's some photos from the market and downtown Giessen....


 Yum! One of my favorite things to do here is walk to the bakery. Big surprise:) There is one in every little suburb and people stand in line starting at 5am every morning to get fresh bread for the day! It's always tucked in a little alleyway lined with cobble stone just like in Beauty and the Beast!


NO ONE has a bulky stroller like ours here!
So today at the market I had my first German conversation with a stranger!! Chris had gone off to buy some potatoes so I was alone pushing the girls in the stroller. Some guy and his young daughter came up to the stroller to admire the girls. The dad started talking to me in German and since Chris wasn't there for me to hide behind, I had to woman-up and talk back to him. He said a bunch of things then said the word 'Zwillinge' and looked at me for an answer. Luckily, that is one word I thought to ask Chris about a few days earlier so I recognized that he as asking if they were twins, and so I answered,"ja". Few! Then he starts saying some more things and finishes with the words ein Ei. I remember that from German 101 forever ago! It means 'one egg.'  Because I've had one million conversations with strangers about twins and they always ask the same questions, I knew he was wondering if they were identical. Again I got to answer, 'ja'. Then he mumbled something that sounded like it would be transferred to 'really!?!' So I aswered 'ja' again and he left. Whew! Maybe he has twin hens and was trying to sell me their eggs, I don't know but I survived my first German convo!

 Long day- time for a snooze!

No comments:

Post a Comment